Friday 14 March 2014

First Run in Eastbourne...

Another week, another seaside town and more coastal running = excellent *big smiley face*



Unfortunately, when I arrived in Eastbourne on Sunday evening, I was immediately struck down by a 24hour vomiting and stomach bug on the Monday. So, I missed my first day of ‘getting to know stuff’ and the start of my induction. It really did wipe me out and I’m only just getting my energy and appetite back properly and today’s Thursday.



However, yesterday – Wednesday – I decided that I couldn’t resist the urge to run and explore any longer and even though I’m not 100% yet and I have no idea where I’m going, I dragged myself out for a little exploration. There was lots of walking as I clumsily navigated the unfamiliar streets of Eastbourne, but once I discovered the seafront I broke into a run. I got really excited when I saw the signposts for Beachy Head and all the possibilities that this will mean in the coming months. 






I decided to follow the signs, although I didn’t intend to run out as far as Beachy Head just yet. I was on evening duty at 6pm and it was past 4.30, so I didn’t want to risk going too far and getting lost. Ultimately, I ended up run/walking up and big grassy hill and onto the South Downs Way.





It is so beautiful. I have run along the SDW at various points in various races, but I have never run this end of the path. I have run close to Winchester and somewhere in the middle, but this bit has remained unfamiliar to me over the years. I have entered Beachy Head Marathon in the past, but it was just too far away for me to get to when I was in the North West. This is one of the reasons that I am now so excited to be in this area; there are just so many beautiful and interesting places to explore. So, I ran along the path for a little while, in the late afternoon sun. It was peaceful, hilly and serene.




I may still be getting over being sickly, but this little wander definitely left me feeling perkier.

No comments:

Post a Comment