Friday, 22 May 2015

Race prep: Relax, TV, munch, cuppa

Slobbing out and watching TV before tomorrow's Grand Union Canal Race and 145 miles of canal, running, walking, sleeplessness, food and exclamations of, 'Why am I doing this (again)?'

I can't wait. It's a big adventure. And yet, I hate the start. It means hauling myself out of bed at about 4am-something and triple checking that I  have everything and anything that I might need and knowing where I have put it and in which bag.

I have to remember: it doesn't always matter how your body feels, it matters how your mind feels. I never feel too amazing at the start because I always feel sleepy. Last year I felt really achy at the 50ish mile mark. Yet, I was pretty pleased with last year's time of 38 hrs 25 mins. This year I am GOING TO beat this.

Last Sunday, 17th May, I completed Windermere Marathon in 4.25.51 - this time was only 1 minute slower than last year. I'm pretty pleased with this, because the wheels actually came off at around 18 miles. I felt 'floppy' and pretty low on energy.  I walked a lot and a bird even pooped on my head. I wasn't giving it my all and I hadn't intended to, with GUCR being less than a week later. However, I was pleased with my early speed. If I can get some good speedy miles under my belt in the daylight and keep that forward progress ticking over during the night section and not take too many long Check Point breaks, then it should all be good.

The medal 

I have decided to run with my OMM waist-pack during the first half of the race. It breaks it up a bit and means that I won't feel as achy or restricted, which I sometimes tend to feel like if I have a running rucksack on my back for too long. So, I'll start off with a few essentials; snacks, gels, waterproof around waist, bottle in hand. I will leave my other important stuff and 'night section rucksack', packed with head torch etc. in my drop-bag.

One thing I wish I could have done successfully in preparation for this weekend is to have restricted caffeine, but I just didn't. I tried a little and even though I didn't majorly overdo the caffeine, I didn't cut it out completely. I will use tried and tested methods to keep myself awake during the night section. These methods include music, singing, full-fat coke and slapping myself in the face.

Again, if anyone would like to donate, I am raising money for Claire House Children's Hospice 

No comments:

Post a Comment